TEDxGuelphU is Guelph’s branch of TED Talks. The members of TEDxGuelphU came to me looking for a revitalized look for their website. The challenge was not just in creating a great design, but also implementing a solution that would be easy for them to update and maintain. The solution was to set them up with a CMS that fit their needs.
- Conduct an expert evaluation of the website and identify issues
- Interview TEDxGuelphU members on website needs and user needs
- Create a mockup of an improved design
- Implement the new design on the current online CMS (www.weebly.com)
- Migrate the website to a more robust CMS on its own webserver
Evaluation (Executive Summary)
- Unprofessional look
- Navigation and website structure unintuitive in relation to user needs
- Content is organized unintuitive- many types of competing layouts
- Homepage has too much text, too much whitespace, and is too long
- Fundamental user needs are not being addressed
- Reorganize website to address fundamental user needs:
- What is TEDxGuelphU?
- What topics are at the next event?
- When and where is the next event?
- How do I attend an event?
Mockup (Design Proposal)
Currently in development. Check back here for updates.